Friday, December 28, 2012

Living Free

Scrub Bull - in the wild
This cleanskin scrubber bull photographed by pure chance as he drank from a billabong on Cape York Pensinsula.  I wish I'd had a better lens. The scene & subject deserve better justice than I've done it.

This bull has lived to mature age without ever being yarded, caught or anything else. He's sure to be a wily old fellow. Looking at the country behind him, he'd be very hard to catch in that country.

This is December, just before the onset of the monsoon.  Most bush water will have dried up after about 10 months of hot humid weather with no rain.  The open grassy foreground is simply dried swamp bed.  After the rainy season all that you see will be well under water.

The photo would look much better without that fence in it.  The fence encloses an area of about 2 acres.  I've a feeling it is the residue of an abandoned/failed trial of some sort.  The fence is supposed to kangaroo & other animal proof.  (This points to it being the handiwork of a university or other non-pragmatic government outfit, as no way in the world is that fence going to stop anything.)  Inside of the fence is eaten out from some pigs or something getting stuck in there, if I recall correctly.  The fence went into the water & some of those nice waterlilies were included in the enclosed area.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of Waltzing Matilda. I remember wondering as a child what the heck a billabong was. I'll bet those waterlilies are beautiful. Perhaps the bull might be enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete